Wednesday 16 May 2012

{Book} Juliet, Naked - Nick Hornby

**This review might contain spoilers**

Very little things in this world leave me speechless, but Nick Hornby seems to be great at it. Granted, I only ever read one of his books before this - Slam, unaware that it was supposed to be for young adults (not that it would have put me off, seeing I read The Hunger Games trilogy just before picking up Juliet), but that one left me speechless for all the wrong reasons. I found it lacked content, to me it just sounded like a bunch of words, one after the other after the other. Meaningless.

Juliet, Naked is different. I am speechless not because I didn't like the book, but rather because I loved it and have no idea why. It's not particularly happy or sad (even though some of it is kind of sad) or witty. But it's a great book about achieving nothing. Going through life without making anything happen, not even your own happiness. About being in such a state of inertia that you don't do anything to change or maybe not even care anymore.

The book tells the story of Tucker Crowe, a rather obscure American rock star of the 80s who has quit his career after some mysterious event, Duncan, a die-hard fan (or Crowologist!) and Annie, his girlfriend. They live in a seaside town called Gooleness, they've been together for 15 years and end up splitting up (not telling how or why, haha).

I think what makes me like this book is the fact that I can somehow relate to Annie. In another lifetime, I had a long-term relationship that I know I should be getting out of but just didn't see the point. He was loving (if a bit obsessive), caring and the alternative would be - most likely - be alone, so I just stuck to it. For six years. Probably four years too long. I don't regret because it has shaped my life as it is, but I can see how six years become fifteen and you are wondering where your life has gone. And do wonder "what if...", however pointless that is.

So I would recommend this book as a light, quick read (250-ish pages), especially if you haven't read any Nick Hornby before or if you would read it as a book on its own right. Don't read it on the strengths of High Fidelity or About a boy, because according to most reviews I read, that will lead to disappointment (I have read neither so I can't comment on that).

1 comment:

  1. OMG. "Juliet, naked" is in my wish list, as it is any Nick Hornby's book. A copy of "Slam" is in my stack of 'books to read' already. My 'OMG' reflected the long-time relationship I had - it was 13 years, maybe 7 of them too long.

    I wrote to you about Nick Hornby previously (when you read "Slam"). "High Fidelity" and "About a Boy" are great but my favourite still is "Fever Pitch". I don't like soccer but maybe I had Colin Firth in my head so the reading was more enjoyable, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thanks for commenting. All opinions welcome. Comments are moderated only to prevent spam. Ana x