Wednesday 11 April 2012

{Book} Me before you - Jojo Moyes

** This review might contain spoilers **

I wasn't sure I was going to like having a Kindle, to be honest. I like books. Paper. Library. And then my husband gave me one for my birthday. I still go to the library and I still read paper books, however I am now sure that the Kindle will be the financial ruin of me. The fact that you can have a book - almost any book - in your hands in 3 seconds sort of overrides the fact that it doesn't have that new book smell.

My latest victim was Jojo Moyes' newest book, Me before you. Now this is where I pause and say to those who don't know me yet that I don't really like chick lit. Or rather, I don't like the formula "girl meets boy, they fall in love and live happily ever after". But having read The last letter from your lover last year, I didn't think this was going to be a formulaic type of book. Mind, I didn't particularly like The last letter from your lover, but browsing the Kindle store best-sellers, I thought this one was worth a read. After all, it has 450 five-star reviews on Amazon.

First of all, it's a quick read. It took me all of 3 days to read it - considering we spent Saturday car-shopping and Sunday having Easter lunch with friends, plus cooking, cleaning and all the normal chores of a normal household, not a very long time.

Trying not to give much away, the book tells the story of Will, a young and successful man who is hit by a motorbike and becomes quadriplegic. Louisa Clark is hired to care for him. A complicated relationship is born.

I do like the plot and, as much as it saddened me, I liked the end. However, the book has its flaws (and by flaws I mean things I disliked LOL). They are not as bad as the ones I found on The last letter from your lover but they bugged me. The world of the upper-middle-class (by which she means filthy rich) is full of Mercedes drivers, snobs and cold hearted people, whilst the working class life is filled with ASBOs but at least they are clean (!). There is a point where Louisa tells us that if you are seen going into a Mercedes in her street, you either pulled a footballer or are being arrested by an unmarked police car. I think it's supposed to be humorous but to me it is borderline offensive.

Apart from Louisa, I couldn't really like any character - much as I tried. And most of the time, it was not really that I liked her, it was more that I felt sorry for her. She has a boyfriend that cares more about his marathons than about her, parents that verbally abuse her, a sister that emotionally blackmails her, a boss who is an arse and then a moral dilemma. Maybe that is why I liked the end. I liked that she found herself somehow, away from all these people.

I would say overall is an ok book but not really worth buying. Get it from your library if you must read it.

(I said I wouldn't read chick lit again after reading The last letter from your lover. I will try to keep away from it from now on. If Kindle lets me.)

3 comments:

  1. Ana I believe that you would be a great writer, did you ever think of writing a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think so? I don't think I'm disciplined enough to be a writer. I would love to, though :) xx

      Delete

Hello and thanks for commenting. All opinions welcome. Comments are moderated only to prevent spam. Ana x