Monday 23 April 2012

Getting the Brazilian treatment

Nope, not talking about waxing. Or hair blow-dry. I am talking about feet.

Here's the deal: we live in a country with cold, cold weather and when the sun starts shining and spring comes, we waste no time and just jump into our flip-flops without a care in the world, right? But having come from a hot, hot country means I have a different approach towards pedicures. I used to have it done every other Saturday - Summer, Winter, it doesn't matter. 

When I moved here, I adopted the British way of pedicure: feet out, maybe some nail polish in, with luck some moisturiser. But to be honest, I felt embarrassed of how my feet looked like when I put those flip flips. I know most people wouldn't take notice but I would. Plus I made the lady who does my feet when I am in Brazil cringe every time I go back home.

So I decided enough was enough. Out I went to Boots to get the kit I needed to get my feet shiny and pretty (or as pretty as they can get!) so they can be out and proud in my collection of Brazilian flip flops.

If you want to do it like I do, here's my easy-to-follow tutorial "30 minutes to Brazilian feet"!

What you will need:

1. A bowl - I find that a washing up bowl works perfectly for my feet (size 3, if you are wondering). And no, I don't use the same bowl for the washing up.
2. A cheese grater A foot file - my husband gave me this one for my birthday a few years ago. A romantic, isn't he? It is brilliant, though.
3. Toe nail pliers (optional) - normal toe nail clippers will do, but these are brilliant especially if you have ultra-hard nail like me. You won't need to cut your nails every time, and maybe not even the first if you are happy with their length.
4. Cuticle pusher - you can use whichever you have/find, but I bought this amazing one from Boots (can't find a link, will take a picture) that has a rubber end and is very easy to use and very soft on your feet.
5. Cuticle clippers - this is to cut the cuticle excess from the pushing.
6. Nail files - I bought this one and it's worth every penny.
7. A towel - I use a hand sized.

Instructions:

1. Fill your bowl with warm water from the tap. Soak your feet from 5-10 minutes and then, leaving one foot soaking, start filing. Now, I have very thick feet skin, thanks to my aversion to wearing shoes, so I spend a lot of time on this. After filing the first foot, return it to the bowl and do the second.

2. Return the second foot to the bowl and start with the cuticle pushing on the first. You might need to return your foot to the bowl a few times to get those cuticles wet, as it makes the work a lot easier. Repeat on the second. No need to return the feet to the bowl after cuticles are pushed.

3. This is where you cut your nails if you have to. The water makes it easy to cut thick and hard nails like mine.

4. Trim the cuticles. I don't recommend removing it completely, especially if you are not experienced with the clippers, as you may get hurt. I take as much as I can though, a job made a lot easier by the pusher - you will see what you need to trim.

5. File your nails. Just like you would on your hands. If you get the four way block like mine, you probably won't need to do anything else to your nails because it makes them smooth and shiny and you won't need to use varnish unless you want to.

The varnishing material:

1. Whatever colour nail varnish you want to use
2. Nail varnish remover
3. Manicure sticks and cotton wool - can be replaced by some special cotton buds I had no idea existed, with a pointed tip. My husband bought it from Asda.

Instructions:

1. Just paint away. Remove whatever is not on nails with the sticks and nail varnish remover.

The finishing touch is to put lots of moisturiser. Any will do but if you have asphalt-cured feet like mine, you might want to have a look at double base, which is the best moisturiser ever. Seriously.

And now a picture. I apologise that my feet are not exactly photogenic. And my skin is still quite dry, but I am only on my second week of feet rescue programme, so hopefully it will only improve from now on.

No Photoshop added. I really should have.
Maybe I should have taken a before picture. Actually, no I shouldn't. I would never EVER show my before feet. Sorry. :)


2 comments:

  1. I cannot remember last time I've done it properly but it always looks so much better afterwards. One of the things a missed the most. Actually I've just remember the massage they do it on your feet when you have your pedicure done in a brazilian's saloon. Amazing, isn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say I do it properly, but it's much better than not done at all, LOL. I miss it too, but not enough to pay someone here to it, haha. xx

      Delete

Hello and thanks for commenting. All opinions welcome. Comments are moderated only to prevent spam. Ana x