Tuesday 1 May 2012

Baby steps

I've been meaning to write this since Saturday but I've been a bit blue and I can't seem to be able to write when I'm sad.

Anyway, last week I got a couple of tickets to go an amazing event called An Evening with Keane. I then posted on FB if anyone wanted to come with me or babysit Lily so Mike could come. I got many many takers for the babysitting, none for joining me, so not only proving Lily is more popular amongst my friends than Keane but also giving Mike and I the first opportunity to go out as a couple in months.

It was a challenge for me, mostly. All of the previous times we had been out, Lily had stayed with my parents or my sister, but given that they live 6,000 miles away, it was not an option this time. My dear friend and neighbour offered and I shyly accepted the offer.

I started talking to Lily about it the next day. That she was going to stay at aunty D's house for a bit. She asked if I was coming with her, I said I would for a bit, then I would go out but I would be back to pick her up later. The following day, she was the one that brought the subject up. She asked if she was still going and if I was coming with her. I told her that if she was really extra nice to aunty D, she would get a surprise. 

I was dreading the day, I have got to be honest. I thought it was going to be painful, she was going to be a nightmare, tantrum-throwing and all the things that 2-year-olds do.When the time came, we packed a bag with toys, a new magazine, Charlie and Lola DVDs, crayons and a colouring pad, strawberries and then we walked to my friend's house. I stayed and talked for a bit and then this was the conversation that followed.

Me: Lily, mummy has to go, is it ok?
Lily: Are you going to get my surprise?
M: Yes, I am going out with daddy and I will bring your surprise when I come back home.
L: Can I come with you?
M: No, you will stay with aunty D.
L: Ok, bye-bye mummy!
M:  

We kissed and said goodbye and off I went. And it was amazing! It was great to spend a few hours alone with my husband, the concert was terrific, everything was perfect. When I came back home, she was still at D's house, she refused to come back home because she wanted to play. She didn't cry one bit, no tantrums, nothing, just a happy little playful girl - or so I am told. So she got her surprise. And that was great because it was the only way to convince her to come back home.

Some people might think it was a late start for us, but I think the timing was just right. It wasn't a problem to either of us, she was happy to stay behind and I was happy to leave her. I was so so worried she was not going to like it that I stressed over it for two whole days but in the end it just worked out much better than Mike and I expected. We will definitely be doing more of that in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thanks for commenting. All opinions welcome. Comments are moderated only to prevent spam. Ana x